In response to comments made by Assistant Chief Constable Martin on the Nolan Show this morning, a spokesperson for The Executive Office said: “This is not an insignificant comment by Assistant Chief Constable Martin. We will be in contact with the PSNI to seek further clarification.
“Where there is evidence of criminal activity, we expect the police to investigate and bring those responsible before the courts. Courts and jail are the only place for anyone involved in paramilitarism.
“All those associated with Charter or any community enterprise must make a clear choice between paramilitarism and legitimate community work.
“There can be no acceptance of or ambivalence towards illegal activity.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries to TEO Press Office on 028 9037 8201. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number on 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
2. Follow us on Twitter @niexecutive.
- Self-efficacy, Locus of Control and Life Satisfaction in Northern Ireland 2016/17 08 November 2017
- Update from the Head of the Civil Service – Storm Ophelia 17 October 2017
- Responders continue to work together and people urged to be vigilant 16 October 2017
- Update from Head of the Civil Service on Storm Ophelia 16 October 2017