In response to comments made by Assistant Chief Constable Martin on the Nolan Show this morning, a spokesperson for The Executive Office said: “This is not an insignificant comment by Assistant Chief Constable Martin. We will be in contact with the PSNI to seek further clarification.
“Where there is evidence of criminal activity, we expect the police to investigate and bring those responsible before the courts. Courts and jail are the only place for anyone involved in paramilitarism.
“All those associated with Charter or any community enterprise must make a clear choice between paramilitarism and legitimate community work.
“There can be no acceptance of or ambivalence towards illegal activity.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries to TEO Press Office on 028 9037 8201. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number on 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
2. Follow us on Twitter @niexecutive.
- Good Relations 2018/19 funding programmes now open 10 January 2018
- TEO statement on Storm Eleanor 03 January 2018
- Summit deepens and strengthens Northern Ireland’s relationship with China 04 December 2017
- Northern Ireland welcomes Chinese Regional leaders to Belfast 01 December 2017