Role of the bureau
The Bureau will identify opportunities, build on our established connections and increase our capacity to realise tangible benefits. The Bureau in China will secure investment, trade, tourism and students and will open further opportunities to exchange knowledge and expertise.
The Northern Ireland Executive is encouraged with the growing relationship we have with China and through the Bureau we will be able to identify more mutually beneficial areas of work.
The Executive’s International Relations Strategy for China provides a coordinated and focused approach across all government departments. It will complement the other key strategies of the Executive including the Economic Strategy for Northern Ireland, the work of Invest NI and other departments.
This collaboration will help to create a corporate presence and identity in China that will add value to the work of all relevant organisations and stakeholders.
This high level strategy recognises that departments and organisations such as Invest Northern Ireland have a lead role in particular sectors. The responsibility of the NI Bureau in China is to establish government to government relations, identify opportunities and work with organisations to create mutually beneficial partnerships with its government and people.
This is a short term strategy covering the initial period for setting up the Bureau.
Meeting with Vice Premier of China, Madam Liu Yandong and Education Minister Yuan Guiren
Beijing, May 2013
Our objectives in China
- develop and maintain effective relationships with the government of the People’s Republic of China
- increase trade and investment between Northern Ireland and China
- raise our profile in China
- raise understanding of Chinese Culture and language in NI
- strengthen bilateral Science and technology collaboration
- attract increased Chinese tourism
- expand cultural and sporting connections between Northern Ireland and China
- proactively seek opportunities for sharing information and best practice
- collaborate on environmental challenges
- establish partnerships with regions in China
- contribute to international development objectives by providing relevant expertise and establishing partnerships with key organisations in China
- work with the British and Irish Embassies; and the European Union to help promote our objectives and identify opportunities
- encourage Chinese students to enrol at NI universities
Northern Ireland Bureau China strategy 2016-18
- View the Northern Ireland Bureau China strategy via the NI Bureau in China website.