Our role is to try and influence the Chinese government and decision makers to look positively at Northern Ireland and to encourage their organisations to do business with us, to study with our institutions, share best practice, enjoy each other’s culture and to visit us.
Our strategy is to target regions where we can build partnerships by promoting NI’s experience and expertise in sectors where we are considered to have international best practice. This will lead to opportunities for economic, education, research and cultural co-operation as well as encouraging visits and exchange programmes.
Executive's objectives for China
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with the government and key organisations in China
- Increase trade and economic activity.
- Increase the number of Chinese students in NI.
- Collaborate on Science and Technology development.
- Learn more about each other's Culture and Sport.
- Share Best Practice in Addressing Global Priorities.
- Develop Partnerships with Regions and Organisations in China.
The 2017 UK China Regional Leaders Summit
The Northern Ireland Executive hosted the prestigious UK-China regional leaders in Belfast.
The short video below shows the arrival of over 100 delegates including 50 Chinese provincial and municipal leaders, who came to Northern Ireland.
The Chinese delegation met with a wide range of Government representatives, academia and businesses to explore opportunities for mutual benefits in economic development, education, health and life sciences.
Success requires the commitment and participation of many organisations, inside and outside government, coordinating resources, sharing information and proactively responding to opportunities.
We also work closely with, and take advice from, the Consulate of the People’s Republic of China to Northern Ireland. In a relatively short period of time, we have seen the relationship with China grow from strength to strength and we see many opportunities for future collaboration and mutual benefits for all.
Northern Ireland Bureau China strategy 2016-18
- View the Northern Ireland Bureau China strategy via the NI Bureau in China website.