The Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry Report was published in January 2017, shortly before the collapse of the Northern Ireland Executive. Preparatory work around those recommendations in the HIA Inquiry Report which require a statutory foundation has been completed and a public consultation has now been launched on the following draft legislation:
- a Bill for a Commissioner for Survivors of Institutional Childhood Abuse (COSICA);
- a Bill for an HIA Redress Board; and
- subordinate legislation dealing with the detail of compensation proposals.
Views are being sought on the draft legislation and associated documents. TEO is consulting on draft legislation so that proposals for the final legislation can be put to Ministers for consideration. In finalising the legislation, TEO will take full account of the comments it receives during the consultation period.
TEO will also be engaging with stakeholders over the course of the consultation period. Details of the information sessions are:
- Canal Court Hotel, Newry between 4.00 - 6.00pm on Tuesday 22 January 2019
- Lodge Hotel, Coleraine between 4.00 - 6.00pm on Thursday 24 January 2019
- Fermanagh House, Enniskillen between 4.00 - 6.00pm on Tuesday 29 January 2019
To register for one of these events:
Email: HIAConsultation@executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk or
Telephone HIA Implementation Branch on: 028 9052 3250
In preparing the draft legislation, the Executive Office in compliance with its statutory duties, has completed Equality Impact Screenings and Rural Impact Assessments for each draft Bill. These can be accessed via the following link: HIA Equality Impact Screenings and Rural Impact Assessments