The Executive Office has announced the appointment of six new Board Members to the Board of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation (MLKDC).
The new Board Members, who have been appointed for a 5-year term are:
- Mark Adrain
- Diana Fitzsimons
- Áine Gallagher
- Kevin Gamble
- Cathy Gormley-Heenan
- Maurice Johnston
The Executive Office would like to sincerely thank the outgoing Chair and Board Members – whose term was extended to 30 September 2023 – for their commitment and dedication to the Development Corporation.
The Executive Office plan to launch a recruitment competition for a Chair early in the new year.
Notes to editors:
- Pen Pictures as of November 2023
- As Group Property Director at Henderson Group, Mark Adrain operates at board level and is a key driver of growth in one of Northern Ireland’s most successful local companies with an annual turnover of over £1bn. With over 26 years’ experience across Northern Ireland property working in the commercial and social housing sectors. He leads all the capital investment programme for the Group and also champions the Group’s drive to achieve Net Zero Carbon by 2040. Mark is also Board Member of Choice Services Ltd. Mark has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years
- Diana Fitzsimons (MA MSc FRICS MRTPI) is a Visiting Professor at Ulster University and brings her extensive experience as an urban planner, previously working on regeneration projects in the public, private and voluntary sectors. She brings knowledge of international regeneration as former deputy President of IFHP and current Chair of the Research Forum of ICLRD.She also brings to the MLK Board her strategy development skills from leading a major planning consultancy and senior Board roles. She is a Belfast Harbour Commissioner and Chair of its Property and Place Committee (with remuneration of £24k p.a.). Her former Board appointments include Chair of Radius Housing. Diana has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years.
- A Fellow of Chartered Accountants Ireland, Áine brings executive, non-executive and consultancy experience gained across the public, private and voluntary sectors in strategic planning, governance, finance and funding, as well as capital and development projects. Áine is a Board Member of Tourism NI (with remuneration of £5,435 p.a.) and a Director of St. Columb’s Diocesan Trust (voluntary). Previous roles held include Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee and Non-Executive Advisory Group Member of the Northern Ireland Audit Office, Director of Finance and Corporate Services for Northern Ireland Hospice and Director of Operations for Culture Company 2013 Ltd. Áine has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years.
- Mr Gamble brings senior management and Board-level skills with strategic management experience in the public and community sectors and has attained an Executive Level MBA. Mr Gamble is the CEO of Féile an Phobail. Mr Gamble is Chairperson of Belfast Taxis CIC, Chairperson of South Antrim GAA, Board member of West Belfast Tourism Development Agency Fáilte Feirste Thiar, Board member of Visit Belfast, Board member of Antrim GAA, Board member Brassneck Theatre Company, and Board member of the West Belfast Partnership Board. Kevin has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years.
- Professor Cathy Gormley-Heenan is University Provost at Ulster University, playing a major role in institution-wide strategic leadership and planning, including shaping institutional strategies and priorities and communicating the strategies and priorities to internal and external stakeholders. In 2021, she was appointed as a fiscal commissioner in the Independent Fiscal Commission for Northern Ireland to consider the case for increasing fiscal powers available to the NI Assembly. As a qualified IoD Chartered Director, Cathy has extensive non-executive and board experience having served as either a Trustee, Director, Board Member or Advisor on a wide range of external bodies and organisations. Current ministerial appointments include DLUCH’s Levelling Up Advisory Council and UKRI's Research England (with remuneration of £6,850 p.a.). Cathy has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years.
- Maurice is Architect/Director for Bryson Architects Ltd, Belfast. A member of both the Royal Institute of British Architects and the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland, Maurice oversees private and public sector construction projects ranging from thousands to millions of pounds, having sound commercial knowledge. A specialist recruited member on the Board of the Irish Football Association 2012-16 for a £35M national stadium development and was on the associated NI Government partnered National Football Stadium Project Board, and now latterly on the IFA’s Stadium Development Company Board. Also, was publicly appointed Chair of the Construction Industry Training Board NI 2014-2022. Maurice has not been involved in any political activity in the past five years.
- The MLKDC was established by the Strategic Investment and Regeneration of Sites (Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation) Order (NI) 2011 to secure the regeneration of the Maze Long Kesh site. The Corporation is an Executive non-departmental public body funded by The Executive Office (TEO). Further information on the work of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation is available at www.mazelongkesh.com
- The MLKDC is governed by a Board consisting of a Chair and 10 Members (currently 6 Members and 5 vacancies). The contracted remuneration for the Chair is £30,000 per annum plus reasonable travel and subsistence expenses. Remuneration for Members is £6,000 per annum plus reasonable travel and subsistence expenses.
- The appointments have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland Code of Practice. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. This information is included with the biographical details above.
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Statement on Post Office Horizon convictions 23 February 2024
- Official opening of Limavady Shared Education Campus 21 February 2024
- Quality and accessible childcare vital for working families – O’Neill and Little-Pengelly 14 February 2024
- Statement following the death of John Bruton 06 February 2024