Under the powers conferred upon him by the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation and Exercise of Functions) Act 2018, the Lord Chancellor has announced the appointment of a number of members to the NI Judicial Appointments Commission (NIJAC).
The new Judicial Members are:
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Stephens;
- The Rt. Hon Mrs Justice Keegan;
- District Judge (Magistrates’ Courts) Prytherch; and
- Mr Eoin Doyle QFSM.
The Judicial Members have been appointed for a five year term from 12 November 2018 to 11 November 2023.
The new Legal Profession members are:
- Ms Noelle McGrenera QC; and
- Mr Michael Robinson.
The Legal Professional Members have been appointed for a four year term from 12 November 2018 to 11 November 2022.
Notes to editors:
1. The Northern Ireland Judicial Appointments Commission (NIJAC) was established on 15 June 2005 under the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002 as amended by the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2004.
2. On the devolution of policing and justice powers in April 2010 the remit of the Commission was further expanded and NIJAC is currently responsible for selecting and appointing, or recommending for appointment, applicants in respect of all listed judicial offices up to and including High Court Judge.
3. The Commission comprises a Chairman who is the Lord Chief Justice and 12 other members:
- five Judicial Members;
- two Legal Profession Members (a barrister nominated by the General Council of the Bar and a solicitor nominated by the Law Society); and
- five Lay Members.
4. The Executive Office holds sponsorship responsibility for the Commission.
5. The Northern Ireland (Executive Formation and Exercise of Functions) Act 2018, which received Royal Assent on 1 November 2018 transferred the power to make appointments to the Lord Chancellor.
6. Political activity plays no part in the selection process and none of the appointees have been involved in any political activity in the last five years.
7. Eligible members of the Commission receive remuneration of £294 per day.
8. Media enquiries to The Executive Office press office on 028 9037 8256. Out of office hours, please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Outcomes Delivery Plan report published 05 September 2019
- Publication of Together: Building a United Community (T:BUC) Strategy Annual Update 2018/19 23 August 2019
- Announcement of the Extension of the Appointments of the Chair and Members of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation 06 August 2019
- Announcement of the extension of the appointments of Non-Executive Directors of the Strategic Investment Board, and the re-appointment of an Executive Director 06 August 2019