First Minister the Rt Hon Arlene Foster MLA and deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill MLA have today confirmed that in line with the Secretary of State’s statement last August, the current tenure of the Commissioner for Victims and Survivors will end on 31 August 2020.
Ministers have taken the opportunity to recognise the commitment of the outgoing Commissioner, Judith Thompson, to her role over the past five years.
Since her appointment in September 2015, there have been considerable advances in the sector in particular with the introduction of the new Service Delivery Model and Peace IV. There have also been many challenges.
Ministers wish the outgoing Commissioner well for the future.
Details on the process to appoint a new Commissioner will issue in due course.
Notes to editors:
- For media queries contact The Executive Office press office via email: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Executive urge public to ‘Wear one for Everyone’ as face coverings become mandatory 10 August 2020
- Executive statement on face coverings 06 August 2020
- Executive outlines decisions on Coronavirus response 06 August 2020
- Statement from Arlene Foster and Michelle O’Neill on the death of John Hume 03 August 2020