First Minister the Rt Hon Arlene Foster MLA and deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill MLA have today confirmed that in line with the Secretary of State’s statement last August, the current tenure of the Commissioner for Victims and Survivors will end on 31 August 2020.
Ministers have taken the opportunity to recognise the commitment of the outgoing Commissioner, Judith Thompson, to her role over the past five years.
Since her appointment in September 2015, there have been considerable advances in the sector in particular with the introduction of the new Service Delivery Model and Peace IV. There have also been many challenges.
Ministers wish the outgoing Commissioner well for the future.
Details on the process to appoint a new Commissioner will issue in due course.
Notes to editors:
- For media queries contact The Executive Office press office via email: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of Lord Justice of Appeal to the NI Judicial Appointments Commission 04 May 2021
- O’Neill makes return visit to her old primary school 30 April 2021
- First Minister praises young people’s commitment to shared future 30 April 2021
- Ministers welcome reopening of retail and outdoor hospitality as another positive step forward 30 April 2021