The Executive has welcomed the opening of new funding streams worth in excess of £30million for victims and survivors.
First Minister the Rt. Hon. Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness said the Executive is committed to do everything it can to provide the best possible services to victims and survivors.
The Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) has today called for applications for two new programmes of funding.
Organisations working with or representing victims and survivors are being invited to apply for funding to the Victims Support Programme 2017-2020 worth £18.7million alongside a call for applications under the European Union’s PEACE IV programme, Shared Spaces and Services – Victims and Survivors 2017-2021 worth a further €17.6million.
The opening of both programmes together will ensure the strategic alignment of funding to organisations and will make the process less onerous on organisations making applications.
Welcoming the announcement the First Minister, the Rt. Hon Arlene Foster said: “The Executive remains committed to improving services for victims and survivors throughout Northern Ireland. I am confident that the opening of these two key funding streams will enhance the services already provided by the Victims and Survivors Service. As an Executive we will continue to do everything possible to provide the best services available to victims and survivors to improve their quality of life and ensure their needs are being fully met.”
The deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness said: “Victims and survivors are some of the most vulnerable people in society and it is imperative to provide services which are sensitive yet responsive to their needs. Meeting the needs in a way that is outcome focused and victim centred is crucial. This funding in excess of £30million will go some way to helping us achieve this.”
Junior Minister, Alastair Ross said: “This is good news for Victims and Survivors and will make a considerable difference to a wide range of organisations and people in Northern Ireland. We have and will continue to work closely with a range of people, groups and organisations to achieve maximum impact.”
Junior Minister, Megan Fearon said: “We remain committed to ensuring the needs of vulnerable victims and survivors are met in an appropriate and timely manner. This funding is great news for victims and survivors and will help ensure the range of services provided meet the specific needs of those who have suffered most.”
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon, 4 January 2017.
Notes to editors:
- The VSS was established in 2012 as an arm’s length body of the Executive Office (formerly OFMDFM). The VSS is a company limited by guarantee and is the implementing body of the Victims and Survivors 10 year strategy.
- VSS is responsible for administering Executive Office (EO) funding that is set aside specifically for victims and survivors.
- VSS is the nominated lead partner for the administration of the Victims element of the Peace IV programme.
- The Victim Support Programme will deliver funding of £18.7million to organisations that provide Health and Wellbeing and Social Support services to victims and survivors over a three year period 2017-2020. Note: that the Northern Ireland Executive have agreed a one year only budget and the position going forward will be dependent on the outcome of the Chancellor’s Autumn Statement. Additionally, funding must be secured as required through the normal Departmental funding allocations process. It is currently anticipated that 2017-2018 opening budgets will be confirmed early 2017.
- The PEACE IV Programme will deliver funding of a further €17.6million to organisations to support the health and well-being of victims and survivors of the conflict, on a cross-border basis over a 5 year period 2017-2021.
- For further information on the opening of funding programmes contact the Victims and Survivors Service, telephone 028 9027 9100.
- Media enquiries to Executive Office Press Office on 028 9037 8142. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @niexecutive.
- 06 December 2019
- 05 December 2019
- 26 November 2019
- 15 November 2019