The First Minister, Rt Hon Arlene Foster MLA and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness MLA have confirmed the Northern Ireland Executive will provide up to £7million support for the North-West to assist development and growth around the City of Derry Airport.
The Executive will provide up to £2.5million in route development support which will help transform the future of the airport and a further £4.5million capital investment in partnership with Derry and Strabane District Council aimed at creating high-value jobs and training opportunities.
First Minister, Rt Hon Arlene Foster MLA, said: “This £7million package ensures the airport remains a key gateway to the North West for business and leisure travel. The Council also has plans for further development which would bring employment opportunities to the area and we want to act as a catalyst for it to succeed.
"This announcement is part of our plan to help deliver economic prosperity in every part of Northern Ireland. Indeed, the plans to invest in capital works will be a welcome boost to the construction sector in the North-West as well.
"Our package of support will ultimately allow the airport to plan for the future and remain a key part of the transport infrastructure for Northern Ireland.”
The deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness MLA said: Connectivity is a pre-requisite for economic development which made this £7million investment in the City of Derry Airport vital.
"This £7million package will enable the City of Derry Airport to invest in route development and capital projects which will create high value jobs and training opportunities. I have been actively engaged in discussions with the City of Derry Airport and the local council for a number of weeks.
"With Ryanair’s withdrawal, having another airline in place is vital for our economic development and I am pleased discussions are at an advanced stage. I am confident this financial backing will enable the airport to not only function but flourish and serve all the people of the North-West and further afield.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office press office on 028 9037 8201. Out of office hours, please contact the duty press office via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- View photos from The Executive Office Flickr collection.
- Executive Daily Update: Initiatives to deal with Coronavirus (3 July 2020) 03 July 2020
- Executive Daily Update: Initiatives to deal with Coronavirus (02 July 2020) 02 July 2020
- Executive confirms changes to Coronavirus Regulations 02 July 2020
- Executive Daily Update: Initiatives to deal with Coronavirus (1 July 2020) 01 July 2020