Junior Ministers Megan Fearon and Alastair Ross today launched Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week at Girdwood Community Hub in North Belfast.
This year’s theme is ‘Building the Future Together’ with a focus on young people and their important role in creating a united community and positive future.
Junior Minister Megan Fearon said: “Society benefits from inclusivity, diversity and embracing all cultural backgrounds so I fully endorse the theme of ‘Building the Future Together’ for Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week.
“The Executive Office has committed close to £20 million this year to deliver its Together Building a United Community strategy. Through this significant level of funding, greater awareness and understanding we can build the foundations for the society we strive towards, one where people can live, work, learn and socialise together without fear of prejudice, hate or intolerance.
“I support and commend the Community Relations Council on Community Relations and Cultural Awareness week and hope the programme of events spark conversations, relationships and respect which will last beyond this awareness week.”
Junior Minister Alastair Ross said: “Improving community relations and building a more cohesive society is vital to enhance the lives of everyone in Northern Ireland. We have come a long way in recent years but we must build on our successes, learn from the past and continue to strive towards a better future.
“More than 160 events are taking place during Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week. These events demonstrate a vast breadth of information and knowledge that can be shared and learned from.
“I encourage everyone to use this week as an opportunity to celebrate everything we as a country have to offer. We should use it to learn, share knowledge and experience, and meet new people. Importantly, we should use it as another stepping stone towards building a better future.”
Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week is organised by the Community Relations Council and will run from 19 to 26 September.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office press office on 028 9037 8201. Out of office hours, please contact the duty press office via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- View photos from The Executive Office Flickr collection.
- Support package to be brought forward for taxi, private bus and coach sectors 24 October 2020
- Restrictions to curb the spread of Coronavirus from 16 October - Questions and Answers 23 October 2020
- Covid-19 press conference – 22 October 2020 22 October 2020
- Covid-19 press conference – 15 October 2020 15 October 2020