The LGBT community should not just be tolerated but fully accepted in all aspects of society.
That was the message from Junior Minister Megan Fearon who today attended the Big Pride Picnic Family Day in the grounds of Belfast City Hall.
Junior Minister Fearon said: “The Big Pride Picnic Family Day celebrates and raises awareness of LGBT families in Belfast. It provides a fun, enjoyable and safe space for them to come together and promotes their inclusion as full and valued citizens of Belfast.
“Today we see families enjoying a great day out where diversity is rightly respected, equality is promoted and differences celebrated. Tolerance is not enough and events like this demonstrate just how far we have come to bring this important community to the heart of Belfast.”
The Minister met with families and groups attending the event and joined them in an afternoon of fun, food, celebration and entertainment.
Junior Minister Fearon added: “I commend Belfast City Council on its support for this event and also the partner agencies who have contributed to making the Big Pride Picnic Family Day such a great success, including the Here NI / Rainbow Family Project and Cara-Friend.”
The Big Pride Picnic is one of the key events of the Belfast Pride Festival, Ireland’s biggest LGBT festival which attracts audiences of up to 50,000 each summer. Now in its 26th year, Belfast Pride Festival takes place until 7 August 2016 with a full programme of events, including lectures, exhibitions and performing arts. The Picnic was supported by Belfast City Council, Libraries NI and PSNI Community Engagement.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office press office on 028 9037 8201. Out of office hours, please contact the duty press office via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Photographs from The Executive Office events can be viewed via Flickr.
- Summit deepens and strengthens Northern Ireland’s relationship with China 04 December 2017
- Northern Ireland welcomes Chinese Regional leaders to Belfast 01 December 2017
- Northern Ireland hosting prestigious China Summit is a milestone in relationship 29 November 2017
- Self-efficacy, Locus of Control and Life Satisfaction in Northern Ireland 2016/17 08 November 2017