First Minister Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill have written an open letter to the public thanking them for the personal sacrifices they have made for the good of others during the Covid-19 crisis.
In the letter, published in Northern Ireland’s daily newspapers today, the First Minister and deputy First Minister said because of the actions of the public, the infection rate here has reduced and lives have been saved. They also appealed to the public to keep following the rules and advice that are in place.
First Minister Arlene Foster said: “We have now reached a stage where we can relax some of the very challenging restrictions that people have been living with, and that is thanks to the actions of people in Northern Ireland.
“It is right that we acknowledge the part that individuals have played in saving lives. But it’s also important we remind people that we’re not yet out of the woods. We are still depending on people to follow the restrictions that do remain in place; to observe social distancing; and maintain good hygiene. Those measures are still critical in our efforts to save lives.”
Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill said: “Recovery from Coronavirus will only be possible if we work together to beat it. As our partners in this process, we have committed to keeping the public updated every step of the way as we gradually move out of lockdown. So we felt it was important that we write to update the public on the current situation and thank them for the part they have played in getting us to this point.
“The role of every member of society is still crucial on the journey towards recovery. The better we all follow the advice and regulations that are in place, the sooner we can come out the other side of this together.”
Notes to editors:
- A copy of the letter from the First Minister Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister Michelle can be viewed via the following link: www.executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk/publications/covid-19-crisis-open-letter-first-minister-and-deputy-first-minister
- Media enquiries, contact the The Executive Office: Press.Office@executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110
- Executive statement on face coverings 06 August 2020
- Executive outlines decisions on Coronavirus response 06 August 2020
- Statement from Arlene Foster and Michelle O’Neill on the death of John Hume 03 August 2020
- End of tenure - Victims Commissioner 31 July 2020