Junior Minister Alastair Ross today gave the keynote address on the role of local government in helping deliver the Programme for Government.
The Junior Minister was speaking at the opening of the SOLACE Northern Ireland conference held in the Hilton Hotel, Templepatrick. The conference attracted delegates from a wide field of Council officers, Councillors, private industry and statutory bodies.
Speaking at the event, Junior Minister Alastair Ross said: “The Northern Ireland Executive is determined to make lives better for everyone in Northern Ireland. We have listened to the people we serve and know they want improved health, better jobs and greater control over their lives and finances.
“The Programme for Government is designed to bring about transformational change in those things that really matter. Through the Programme we aim to achieve wellbeing with a focus on tackling disadvantage and driving economic growth. It has the potential to tackle some of our seemingly intractable issues.
“We cannot make these changes in isolation and recognise that the Executive and local government must work in partnership. We all have a role to play and I am confident that council-led programmes will be integral in delivering the best possible outcomes for Northern Ireland.”
SOLACE Northern Ireland is the Irish branch of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives and Senior Managers. The branch operates independently as the representative body for senior managers working in local government.
The eight week consultation on the draft Programme for Government closes on 23 December 2016 and is available to view via the Northern Ireland Executive website.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to TEO Press Office on 028 9037 8283. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number on 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @niexecutive.
- Last call for applications to 2018/19 Good Relations funding programmes 20 February 2018
- Anholt–GfK Roper Nation Brands Index (SM): 2017 report for Northern Ireland published 20 February 2018
- Labour Force Survey Religion Report 2016 31 January 2018
- The Holocaust reminds us of the power of words 25 January 2018