The deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness and Junior Minister Alastair Ross today joined more than 3,000 young people to offer peace pledges at the Amazing the Space event.
Held in the Eikon Exhibition Centre, Lisburn, Amazing the Space is part of Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week and coincides with the United Nations International Peace Day.
The deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness said: “ Today celebrates young people’s role as ambassadors for peace. It is particularly encouraging to see so many taking part and leading the way in building a united community.
“Our children and young people have often led the way in groundbreaking community relations initiatives. This is the spirit we see here today and it’s wonderful to have this opportunity to celebrate International Peace Day with everyone here.
“Our young people have an important voice to be heard and it is our job not only to listen but act on their contributions. Events like today help us in our journey towards a society we can all be proud of.”
Junior Minister, Alastair Ross said: “Amazing the Space is a truly worthwhile, youth-driven, initiative which provides an opportunity for young people to play their part in peace-building.
“Events like this are vital to a shared, united and reconciled society and I am delighted The Executive Office is supporting Amazing the Space through its Central Good Relations Fund.
“I thank Co-Operation Ireland for its work in organising this event and for giving me the opportunity to make my own peace pledge along with the young people here today.”
The Amazing the Space initiative is aimed at young people involved in peace-building. It includes performances from local talent, as well as international contributions from across the globe, through a range of partners including Generation Global, The Global Peace Foundation and the United Nations.
Alongside the main event, ‘Amazing the Space’ includes local satellite venues allowing an additional 1,500 pupils to take part via live video streaming.
Notes to editors:
- Amazing the Space is closely aligned with the Executive’s ‘Together: Building a United Community’ strategy. The Executive Office is providing £189,031.09 funding for the event.
- Media enquiries to TEO Press Office on 028 9052 1905. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number on 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @niexecutive
- Northern Ireland welcomes over 1,000 Syrian refugees 21 June 2018
- NICS outcomes delivery plan published 04 June 2018
- Six Dimensions of the Nation Brands Index 2017 31 May 2018
- Head of Civil Service comments on DfI’s intention to appeal judgment 16 May 2018