First Minister Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill have announced the extension and reopening of the Bereaved Self-Directed Assistance Payments Scheme.
The scheme, which will be open to bereaved victims and survivors who are not already in receipt of payments from the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS), will reopen from 1 April 2021.
First Minister Arlene Foster said: “I am pleased to announce the reopening of the payments scheme for bereaved victims and survivors.
“I have had the privilege of engaging with those who have been bereaved and I understand that there is a need both for practical support and recognition of the trauma they have suffered.
“I encourage all those who are eligible to get in touch with the Victims Support Service who can assist with the process and provide additional wellbeing support.”
Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill said: “It is right to acknowledge the suffering, pain and loss experienced by all those bereaved during the conflict. I am aware that there has been a lasting impact on those bereaved.
“Having listened to the very personal and individual stories of loss, I very much welcome the reopening of this scheme and I would encourage anyone who is eligible to come forward and take up this assistance through the Victims and Survivors Service or their local support group.”
The scheme will be implemented by the VSS and will be open from 1st April 2021. Applications and enquiries can be made to VSS.
Notes to editors:
- The Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) delivers support and services to improve the health and wellbeing of victims and survivors.
- The Bereaved Self Directed Assistance Payments Scheme will be open to bereaved individuals who were not registered with VSS by 31 March 2017 and, therefore, are not already in receipt of this payment from VSS.
- The scheme applies to individuals bereaved of a parent, spouse/partner, and/or a child.
- Individuals bereaved of a parent, spouse/partner, and/or child will receive a payment of £500. Individuals bereaved of a spouse/partner or bereaved of both parents will receive an additional needs based payment of £500.
- Details of the extended scheme have been communicated to VSS-funded groups.
- Completed application forms and all required supporting information should be submitted using the following e-mail address: email@example.com. Application forms can also be submitted by post to Victims & Survivors Service, 1st Floor Seatem House, 28-32 Alfred Street, Belfast BT2 8EN.
- Statement on Executive decisions – 22 July 2021 22 July 2021
- Givan and O’Neill wish local Olympians well for Tokyo 22 July 2021
- Stay safe during hot weather – Givan and O’Neill 20 July 2021
- Ministers united in vaccine effort 15 July 2021