The Executive Office today published the ‘Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index: 2021 report for Northern Ireland’.
This report provides a measure of Northern Ireland’s international reputation.
- Northern Ireland’s international reputation remains stable, achieving an overall ranking of 24 out of 60 nations. Our reputation is strongest with North America, the UK and European nations. In 2021, NI received its highest ranks from Italy (22nd) and the United States (22nd). The lowest rank in 2021 was from China, who placed Northern Ireland 59th.
- Northern Ireland achieved a Nation Brands Index score of 61.27 – this is the highest score achieved since inclusion in the Index in 2016. Our highest score in 2021 was from India (75.61) and the lowest score came from Japan (51.77).
- As in all previous years, “Natural beauty” was the attribute with the highest score in 2021 with 5.27. The lowest scoring attribute was “Science & Technology” scoring 4.17 in 2021.
- For the first year, Northern Ireland increased its score for all 23 attributes both compared with 2020, and since inclusion in the index in 2016.
- Visiting Northern Ireland or digital exposure to NI (through buying NI products / visiting websites) was associated with significantly higher scores for all Six Dimensions and for the overall NBI score.
About the Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands IndexSM 2021
The NBISM is an annual global survey which attempts to evaluate the international image and reputation of 60 nations across six dimensions of national competence: Exports; Governance; Culture; People; Tourism; and Immigration and Investment.
The 2021 NBI involved the completion of over 60,000 online surveys, in 20 panel countries, with at least 3,000 people surveyed per panel country.
The report, infographics and associated data tables are available on the Statistics and Research section of the Executive Office website: www.executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk/topics/statistics-and-research/nation-brands-index
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the TEO press office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:
The Executive Office
Telephone: 028 9052 0021
- Launch of public appointment competition for Board Members of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation 05 September 2022
- Good Relations Indicators 2019 Report 04 August 2022
- Everyone has a role to play when it comes to tackling violence against women and girls 28 June 2022
- Update to working from home guidance 06 June 2022