The Executive Office has today published an Outcomes Delivery Plan for 2018-19.
Speaking at a Bryson Charitable Group event, David Sterling said that until ministers return to office and the Executive is restored, departments need to ensure that the operational business of government is discharged as effectively as possible.
He said: “This delivery plan sets out the actions that departments will take to give effect to the previous Executive’s stated objective of Improving Wellbeing for All– by tackling disadvantage and driving economic growth.”
Mr Sterling said that the Northern Ireland Civil Service wants to see the early return of devolved decision-making by the Executive, adding that it is important there is clarity on what departments can and cannot do in the absence of ministers.
He said: “This is a necessarily constrained delivery plan; in the absence of ministers, departments are limited in how they discharge their functions and civil servants cannot, as recent court judgments make clear, take certain decisions in relation to those functions.
“The plan provides direction for those who deliver public services and provides a measure of transparency about what the NICS will be doing, particularly at a time when the Executive and the Assembly are not functioning.”
Progress reports will be published at the mid-year and end-year points.
The Outcomes Delivery Plan is available on the Executive Office website.
Notes to editors:
- Infogram and support data for the Outcomes Delivery Plan is available via the following link: Supporting Data
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office press office on 028 9037 8283. Out of office hours please contact the duty press office via pager number 07623 974 383 and you call will be returned.
- New Permanent Secretary role announced 10 August 2018
- HOCS letter to Professor Alan Manning - Migration Advisory Committee consultation 28 June 2018
- Labour Force Survey Religion Report 2016: Local Government District Bulletin 28 June 2018
- Northern Ireland welcomes over 1,000 Syrian refugees 21 June 2018