The Executive Office today published the ‘Six Dimensions of the Nation Brands Index(SM)’ statistical bulletins.
Building on ‘The Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands Index: 2018 report for Northern Ireland’, published in February 2019, these bulletins examine in more detail how Northern Ireland is viewed internationally in relation six dimensions of national competence: Governance; Immigration and Investment; People; Exports; Tourism; and Culture.
- Participants who had visited Northern Ireland (for any reason) consistently scored Northern Ireland significantly higher in each of the six dimensions than participants who had not previously visited.
- Northern Ireland was ranked 22nd out of 50 nations, with an overall score of 58.71.
- Governance was ranked 21st out of 50 in 2018; Northern Ireland’s highest ranked dimension. This dimension has been Northern Ireland’s highest ranking dimension each year since inclusion in the survey in 2016.
- Immigration and Investment ranked 21st out of 50 nations – the 2nd highest ranking, but 4th highest scoring dimension (56.31).
- Tourism was Northern Ireland’s highest scoring dimension (64.17) but the 2nd lowest rank (28th) of the six dimensions.
- People was Northern Ireland’s 2nd highest scoring dimension (62.95) and 3rd highest rank (23rd) in 2018 – continuing the trend of strong performance in score and rank observed since 2016.
- Exports was Northern Ireland’s lowest scoring dimension (54.10) but received a higher rank (26th) than two of the other six dimensions.
- Culture was Northern Ireland’s 2nd lowest scoring dimension (55.51) and received the lowest rank (35th) of the six dimensions.
- Northern Ireland’s highest scoring attributes were in the Tourism dimension (Natural Beauty = 5.15 and Visit if Money was No Object = 4.86), while the lowest scoring was in the Culture dimension (Sports = 3.93)
About the Anholt-GfK Nation Brands Index 2018
The NBISM is an analytical tool which attempts to measure and rank the broad international reputation of 50 nations, across six dimensions of national competence: Exports; Governance; Culture; People; Tourism; and Immigration and Investment.
The 2018 NBISM involved the completion of over 20,000 online surveys, in 20 major developed and developing panel countries, with at least 1,000 per panel country.
The bulletins and associated data tables are available on the Statistics and Research section of the Executive Office website.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to the Executive Office Press Office on 028 9037 8201. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:
The Executive Office
Telephone: 028 9052 0021
- Outcomes Delivery Plan report published 05 September 2019
- Publication of Together: Building a United Community (T:BUC) Strategy Annual Update 2018/19 23 August 2019
- Announcement of the Extension of the Appointments of the Chair and Members of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation 06 August 2019
- Announcement of the extension of the appointments of Non-Executive Directors of the Strategic Investment Board, and the re-appointment of an Executive Director 06 August 2019