This statistical bulletin presents data on, and facilitates monitoring of, a population indicator informing Outcome 7 (we have a safe community where we respect the law, and each other), Outcome 9 (we are a shared, welcoming and confident society that respects diversity) and Outcome 10 (we have created a place where people want to live and work, to visit and invest) of the Outcomes Delivery Plan. All figures are 2018 unless otherwise stated.
Indicator 35: Percentage (%) of the population who believe their cultural identity is respected by society
65% of respondents believe their cultural identity is respected by society. This is not a significant change from 2017.
- 66% of female respondents and 62% of male respondents believe their cultural identity is respected by society.
- 66% of Catholic respondents and 67% of Protestant respondents believe their cultural identity is respected by society; this is significantly more than the 59% of those of an ‘other’ religion who believe their cultural identity is respected by society.
- Across the age groups, those aged 25-34 (62%) and 50-64 (62%) were significantly less likely than those aged 65+ (71%) to believe their cultural identity is respected by society.
The report is available on the Statistics and Research Branch section of the Executive Office website.
Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:Graeme Banks – Assistant Statistician
Statistics and Research Branch, The Executive Office
Room E4.03, Castle Buildings,
BT4 3SR E-mail: email@example.com
Telephone: 028 9052 3289
Notes to editors:
-  Respondents to the 2018 Northern Ireland Life & Times Survey.
 Religious categories are Catholic, Protestant and Other. Other includes no religion, other religions, don’t know, no answer.
- All media queries should be directed to The Executive Office Press Office on 028 9037 8201. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Register to apply online for the Central Good Relations Fund 2020/21 20 January 2020
- New Executive can rebuild confidence in politics 14 January 2020
- Deal is done - funding must follow: Foster and O’Neill 13 January 2020
- Announcement of the extension of the appointments of Chair and Non-Executive Directors of the Strategic Investment Board 09 January 2020