Senior leaders from seven Chinese provinces and cities joined two hundred delegates at the 3rd UK/China Regional Leaders Summit hosted in Belfast 1-3 December.
The Chinese delegation, formally led by Vice-President Song Jingwu of the MFA affiliate Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC), comprised the provinces of Hubei, Jilin and Liaoning and cities of Shanghai, Changchun, Dalian and Shenyang.
Tim Losty, Director of the Northern Ireland Bureau in China said: “This Summit was a powerful statement of the importance China attaches to regional and local co-operation. The event focused on prosperity and partnership for Northern Ireland and China.”
“In a series of short, high-impact sessions, practitioners from public and private sectors and from academia set out Northern Ireland’s best-in-class offer in food security, health services technology, innovation/knowledge economy and creative screen industries. Each session directly addressed a priority need in China’s 13th 5-Year Plan and showed how Northern Ireland has achieved world-leading innovation through bringing Government, academia and business together at the local level.”
At close of business Hubei and Liaoning Provinces signed Memoranda of Understanding with The Executive Office extending existing co-operation across economic development, education, research exchange and culture.
Commenting on the next steps Tim Losty said: “Inevitably a great deal of work lies ahead to reap the benefits of the 3rd Regional Leaders Summit. That work will start immediately and the Summit provided the perfect platform on which to build.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to TEO Press Office on 028 9037 8256. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- For photos in relation to the Summit, please visit: www.presseye.com/eventkey and use the following Event key: NIChinaSummit2017. You should use the arrow below the image to download at no fee.
- Labour Force Survey Religion Report 2016: Local Government District Bulletin 28 June 2018
- HOCS letter to Professor Alan Manning - Migration Advisory Committee consultation 28 June 2018
- Northern Ireland welcomes over 1,000 Syrian refugees 21 June 2018
- NICS outcomes delivery plan published 04 June 2018