The Executive Office today published ‘The Anholt–GfK Roper Nation Brands Index(SM): 2018 report for Northern Ireland’, which provides a measure and rank of Northern Ireland’s international reputation.
Northern Ireland was ranked 22nd out of 50 nations on the 2018 Anholt GfK-Roper Nation Brands Index(SM) (NBISM), with an overall score of 58.71.
Northern Ireland received higher overall rankings from western European and Anglo–American nations, with the highest overall rankings received from the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Canada (21st out of 50). Northern Ireland’s lowest ranking was received from Egypt (38th).
In terms of the six core dimensions which determine the overall score and ranking, Northern Ireland was ranked highest in relation to Governance (20th), Immigration and Investment (21st), and People (23rd). Lower rankings were evident for Culture (35th), Tourism (28th) and Exports (26th).
Fifty-one per cent of respondents reported that they had some knowledge Northern Ireland, resulting in a ‘familiarity’ ranking of 37th out of the 50 participating nations. This is a small decrease in score from 2017 when 53 per cent of participants reported some knowledge of Northern Ireland – the rank in both years has remained the same at 37 out of 50 participating nations.
Seven per cent of respondents had previously visited Northern Ireland to take a holiday and / or for business purposes. These respondents scored Northern Ireland significantly higher in each of the six core dimensions than respondents who had not previously visited.
The report and associated data tables are available on the Executive Office Statistics and Research website.
About the Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands Index(SM) 2018
The NBISM is an analytical tool which attempts to measure and rank the broad international reputation of 50 nations, across six dimensions of national competence: Governance; Immigration and Investment; Tourism; People; Exports and Culture. This is Northern Ireland’s third inclusion in the NBISM after being included for the first time in 2016 and again in 2017.
The 2018 NBISM survey involved over 20,000 online surveys, in 20 major developed and developing panel countries, with at least 1,000 per country.
All rankings presented in the report are out of 50. The overall NBISM score is indexed to 100.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to The Executive Office Press Office on 028 9037 8142. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:
The Executive Office
Telephone: 028 9052 0021
- Outcomes Delivery Plan report published 05 September 2019
- Publication of Together: Building a United Community (T:BUC) Strategy Annual Update 2018/19 23 August 2019
- Announcement of the Extension of the Appointments of the Chair and Members of the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation 06 August 2019
- Announcement of the extension of the appointments of Non-Executive Directors of the Strategic Investment Board, and the re-appointment of an Executive Director 06 August 2019