The Executive Office today published the ‘Six Dimensions of the Nation Brands Index 2021’ statistical bulletins.
Building on ‘The Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index: 2021 report for Northern Ireland’, published in December 2021, these bulletins examine in more detail how Northern Ireland is viewed internationally in relation six dimensions of national competence: Governance; Immigration and Investment; People; Exports; Tourism; and Culture.
- Northern Ireland received its highest ever scores for all Six Dimensions.
- Northern Ireland ranked 21st of 60 countries for the Governance dimension (one rank lower than all previous survey years). Governance was Northern Ireland’s highest ranked dimension, as was also the case in the previous years. Northern Ireland’s score for Governance was 60.70.
- Northern Ireland ranked 22nd of 60 for the Immigration and Investment dimension (down one place since 2020). Northern Ireland’s score for Immigration and Investment was 59.04.
- Northern Ireland ranked 23rd of 60 for the People dimension (down one place from 2020). Northern Ireland’s score for People was 65.42.
- Northern Ireland ranked 27th of 60 for the Exports dimension (down two places since 2020). Northern Ireland’s score for Exports was 56.42.
- Northern Ireland ranked 29th of 60 for the Tourism dimension (down two places since 2020). Despite the low ranking, Northern Ireland received its highest dimension score for Tourism (66.52); this suggests Tourism is a competitive dimension where many countries receive high scores.
- Northern Ireland ranked 33rd of 60 for the Culture dimension (down two places since 2020). Culture was Northern Ireland’s lowest ranked dimension, as was also the case in all previous survey years. Northern Ireland’s score for Culture was 59.54.
About the Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index 2021
The NBI is an annual global survey which evaluates the international image and reputation of 60 nations across six dimensions of national competence: Exports; Governance; Culture; People; Tourism; and Immigration and Investment.
The 2021 NBI involved the completion of over 60,000 online surveys, in 20 panel countries, with at least 3,000 people surveyed per panel country.
The report, infographics and associated data tables are available on the Statistics and Research section of the Executive Office website:
Notes to editors:
Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:
The Executive Office
- Announcement of Appointments of Six Board Members to the Maze/Long Kesh Development Corporation 21 November 2023
- New Independent Chair to Inter-Departmental Working Group 20 November 2023
- Wellbeing in Northern Ireland, 2022/23 15 November 2023
- Information on support measures for businesses impacted by floods 08 November 2023