The Executive Office today published the ‘Six Dimensions of the Nation Brands Index 2022’ statistical bulletins.
Building on ‘The Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index: 2022 report for Northern Ireland’, published in December 2022, these bulletins examine in more detail how Northern Ireland is viewed internationally in relation to six dimensions of national competence: Governance; Immigration and Investment; People; Exports; Tourism; and Culture.
- Northern Ireland ranked 21st of 60 countries for the Governance dimension (unchanged since 2021). As was the case in previous years, Governance was Northern Ireland’s highest ranked dimension. Northern Ireland’s score for Governance was 60.74, the highest since inclusion in the survey in 2016.
- Northern Ireland ranked 23rd of 60 for the People dimension (unchanged since 2021 and the joint second highest ranked dimension). Northern Ireland’s score for People was 65.01, making it the second highest scoring dimension.
- Northern Ireland ranked 23rd of 60 for the Immigration and Investment dimension. Despite being the joint second highest ranked dimension, this was down one place from 2021 to its lowest position in the series. Northern Ireland’s score for Immigration and Investment was 57.81.
- Northern Ireland ranked 26th of 60 for the Exports dimension (up one place since 2021). Exports has been Northern Ireland’s lowest scoring dimension since inclusion in the survey in 2016, scoring 55.97 in 2022.
- Northern Ireland ranked 27th of 60 for the Tourism dimension (up two places since 2021). Despite being the second lowest ranked dimension, Northern Ireland received its highest score for Tourism (66.43), suggesting Tourism is a competitive dimension where many countries receive high scores.
- Northern Ireland ranked 34th of 60 for the Culture dimension (down one place since 2021). Culture was Northern Ireland’s lowest ranked dimension, as was the case in all previous survey years. Northern Ireland’s score for Culture was 59.37.
- Participants who had visited Northern Ireland (for any reason) consistently scored Northern Ireland significantly higher in each of the six dimensions than participants who had not previously visited.
About the Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index 2022
The NBI is an annual global survey which evaluates the international image and reputation of 60 nations across six dimensions of national competence: Exports; Governance; Culture; People; Tourism; and Immigration and Investment.
The 2022 NBI involved the completion of over 60,000 online surveys, in 20 panel countries, with at least 3,000 people surveyed per panel country.
The report, infographics and associated data tables are available on the Statistics and Research section of the Executive Office website.
Notes to editors:
- Further information relating to the collection and production of the statistics can be obtained by contacting:
TEO Analytical Unit
The Executive Office
- Head of Civil Service welcomes announcement of US Business Delegation to NI 02 October 2023
- Nation Brands Index Regional Analysis 2016-2022 21 September 2023
- Extent of violence experienced by women and girls revealed in new reports 07 September 2023
- People invited to have their say on Communities in Transition Project 04 September 2023